Outreach and Education
PECaD works with community partners to develop outreach and education strategies to foster healthy communities and environments less burdened by cancer disparities. We identify medically underserved parts of the community and related barriers to quality cancer care; enhance community health and access to quality cancer care and health information; evaluate efforts to promote and bring education and prevention messages to the community; and develop plans for long-term continuation of outreach and education.
Over the years, the Siteman Cancer Center and PECaD have participated in or hosted numerous community cancer prevention, awareness and education activities. Here are a few examples:
- Developing cancer prevention and awareness messages
- Reporting research findings back to the community
- Sharing important cancer information with our community
Our outreach and education activities continue to advance with current ventures that extend and evaluate the effectiveness of efforts to bring education and prevention messages to the community through:
- Churches, libraries, targeted media outlets and community-based health-care organizations
- Activities of a National Cancer Institute-coordinated National Outreach Network
- Building on needs identified for breast cancer prevention, detection and diagnosis, treatment and follow-up services in southeastern Missouri
E-mail program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about outreach and education activities.